1. When people, typically men, use the word “cunt.”
2. When people, typically men, use the word “bitch.”
3. When people, typically white people, use the word “nigger.”
4. When people, typically heterosexual people, use the word “gay” to mean stupid.
5. When people, typically men, use the word “slut.”
6. When people say that racism is over.
7. When people say “I’m not racist, but…”
8. When people try to explain to me why their offensive joke is actually funny, and I’m just not cultured or nuanced enough to understand it.
9. When people say that being mean is protected under free speech. It is. But that doesn’t mean you have to use it.
10. When anyone anywhere in any way implies that rape was the victim’s fault.
11. When people, typically white men, complain about affirmative action. Some people estimate that if we were to pay African Americans reparations for all of the economic disadvantage while we enslaved them and discriminated against them, the total sum would be greater than the amount of wealth that currently exists in America. I think we can take affirmative action.
12. When someone assumes that children don’t learn because they are “lazy.”
13. When someone says that poor people are poor because they are “lazy.”
14. When people do or say any of these things ironically. Irony belongs in literature, theater, and film. It doesn’t belong in real, intimate human interaction. Just because you’ve taken a Women and Gender Studies class, you do not have permission to use the word “cunt” ironically.